What can I do to keep my NS&I accounts safe?
Although managing your money online is usually safe, it’s your responsibility to keep your details secure, too. Here are a few tips:
- Never tell another person your full password – not even someone who works for NS&I.
- We recommend you don’t write down or record your password or security details.
- Avoid choosing a password that’s easy to guess.
- Avoid re-using passwords from other online accounts.
- Be careful when you dispose of documents about your NS&I accounts – you may want to shred them first.
- Check your NS&I statements regularly. See anything out of the ordinary? Then get in touch with us straight away.
You’ll find out more about staying safe online on these websites
- Financial Fraud Action – the UK banks’ initiative to help you stay safe online.
- Get Safe Online – how to protect yourself and your money online.
- Action fraud – combating identity theft.
- Know fraud - information about fraud and specifically 8 things your bank will never ask you to do.
Emails and phone calls - how can I tell if these are genuine?
- We’ll never send you a direct link to the log in page.
- We'll never send you emails asking for personal or security information to be returned by email, or to update or confirm your NS&I account details.
- We’ll always address you by name. If an email starts with 'Dear Valued Customer' or something similar, it's likely to be a scam.
If you have a concern about an email that appears to be from NS&I, please send it to us immediately at: firstname.lastname@example.org
We’ll investigate it but may not always reply to you personally.
- We don’t ‘cold call’. We’ll never make unsolicited outbound calls to your landline or mobile.
- We’ll only call you on a number you’ve given us if you’ve already contacted us and have requested a call back, or if we need more information about an enquiry or an application you’ve made.
- If you receive an unsolicited call from someone claiming to be from NS&I, do not tell them any of your personal details. Please report it to us straight away using our published contact details.