An account was opened for me as a child. How do I take control when I’m 16 or over?
As soon as you turn 16, you become responsible for your own NS&I account(s). The easiest way to manage them is to use our online service. Here’s how to register:
- Log in/Register
Then follow the on-screen instructions. You’ll need to quote either your NS&I number or your account number/holder's number.
- We’ll check your identity by asking you questions about your relationships with other banks and building societies, based on information held by a credit reference agency. If you can’t get through this check, don’t worry – you’ll be able to complete your registration by posting us a form instead. We may ask you to get a witness to sign the form as well.
To find out more about managing your account(s), have a look below.
- When you’ve successfully registered and logged in, you’ll see a summary on your homepage of your Junior ISA if you have one. Then just click the ‘Take ownership’ button.
- The next screen will ask you to provide your National Insurance number, choose how you want to receive notifications, and confirm that you’ve read the customer agreement (terms and conditions) and Junior ISA declaration.
When you reach 18 we’ll automatically transfer the money from your Junior ISA into an adult cash ISA from NS&I. We’ll contact the person who looks after the Junior ISA about a month before this happens.
When you’ve successfully registered and logged in, you’ll see a summar yof any Children’s Bonds you have. You’ll then be able to manage your Bonds and update your details quickly and easily. You can also choose to go paperless.
We’ll contact you around 30 days before each of your Bonds matures to let you know your options.
When you’ve successfully registered and logged in, you’ll see a summary of your Investment Account if you have one. You can check your balance and view your transactions at any time. But remember that the Investment Account is a postal account so if you want to pay in or take out money, you’ll need to print and complete a form and send it to us. You can find all the forms here:
If you have Premium Bonds, Children’s Bonds or an Investment Account, you can manage them by post and you don’t have to use our online service.
To take control of these accounts without using our online service, you’ll need to write to us. Please include the following details in your letter:
- which NS&I account(s) you have
- your holder’s or account number(s)
- your name, address and date of birth
- your signature
- the signature and details of a witness (see below)
Ask a witness to sign your letter and give their details
Please ask a witness (anyone over 18, not a family member) to:
- write the following at the bottom of your letter: ‘I certify that (your name) signed this letter in my presence and that I am not a member of the same family’
- sign and date below that
- give their name, address, date of birth and occupation
Send your letter, signed by you and the witness, to:
NS&I, Sunderland, SR43 2SB
Once you’ve written to us and we’ve got your signature and your witness’s signature, you can manage your account(s) by post.
You can find all the forms you need here: